Monday, December 13, 2010

The Work of the House

I won't resent it.  I just can't resent it.  Another trip to the sink with dirty dishes, another wiping of the counter, another load in the laundry.  I won't resent it!  These small acts are inevitable, and if I resent them now, it will make for a miserable lifetime of the same!

I am setting myself a challenge.  Instead of, "I have to do the laundry," I will now say to myself, "I GET to do the laundry."  I get to do the dishes.  I get to vacuum the rug.  Is it not a privilege to spend my days with my daughter, supported by my husband who is blessed to have a steady job in this tipsy economy?  Is it not a privilege to watch her grow, to teach her to speak, to one day help her walk and then someday guide her through her homework?  Is it not a privilege to have dear white dishes to wash and clothes to launder, a rug to vacuum and pretty trinkets to dust?  Is it not a privilege to prepare our dinner and feast together?  Yes, yes.  Join me, won't you, in this thanksgiving?  A quiet, joyful way to spend our Advent.

1 comment: